|Stressed for Success|
|Season 8, Episode 19|
|Air date||May 2, 2004|
|Written by||Tony Gama-Lobo and Rebecca May|
|Directed by||Tricia Garcia|
Girl, You'll Be a Giant Soon
Stressed for Success is the 188th episode of King of the Hill. It was first aired on May 2, 2004. The episode was written by Tony Gama-Lobo and Rebecca May, and directed by Tricia Garcia. Kelly Clarkson guest stars.
Bobby joins the school's Quiz Bowl team because of his extensive knowledge of pop culture, but he becomes stressed out by the pressure put on by his family, peers, and instructor Eugene Grandy.
There is an error in this episode, in which the Quizmaster (Ben Stein) asks "Negative 273 degrees Kelvin is also known as what?", to which the correct answer is "absolute zero." Absolute zero is defined as zero Kelvin, and so the question should have been "Negative 273 degrees Celsius is also known as what?"
- Hank Hill
- Peggy Hill
- Bobby Hill
- Luanne Platter
- Dale Gribble
- Jeff Boomhauer
- Bill Dauterive
- Kahn Souphanousinphone
- Minh Souphanousinphone
- Connie Souphanousinphone
- Kelly Clarkson (cameo)
- Dawn (cameo)
- Jeremy (cameo)
- Eugene Grandy (cameo)
- Quizmaster (cameo) - voiced by Ben Stein
Dale: Or the films of M. Night Shyamalan.
- John Ritter, who voiced Eugene Grandy, died before the episode aired. This episode is dedicated to him.
- When Bobby is in his room watching the sing-along after his first Quiz-Bowl competition, the song playing is a 4-Skore song from season seven's Get Your Freak Off.
- After Bobby's second competition, he is watching the film adaption of A Dinner Of Onions (with audio-commentary). The novel was the book that the book-club were reading in season seven's "Full Metal Dust Jacket".
- The competition is never referenced again, so it is unknown if Bobby's team won or not.
- At the beginning of the episode, it's discovered that Bobby Hill had written an American history report not on a real president but on "Josiah Bartlet," the fictional president from the television series "The West Wing."
- Toward the beginning of the episode, Bobby is seen watching MTV's Jackass on television.
- HANK: Now go start that report.
- BOBBY: But which president should I... (Hank glares; Bobby sighs) ...Ronald Reagan.
- HANK: Since when is pop culture academic?
- DALE: It's serious business, Hank. You can't be a respected university these days without offering a major in commercial jingles or the films of M. Night Shyamalamalan.
- BOOMHAUER: Yeah, man, talkin' about dang ol' Oberlin, man, they got a Phi Beta Kappa in them muppets, yo.
- HANK: Well, that's asinine. What kind of job can you get with a degree in pop culture?
- DALE: You can be a professor of pop culture. Wow. Bobby the Professor.
- HANK: You know, I wanted Bobby to become the kind of kid who did stuff after school, but the stuff after school is just becoming more like Bobby.